www.SweetReagan.com

The sweetest of Reagan's world ... Life in the PINK!

Friday, August 26, 2005

Over-qualified, WTF?

Ok, so I had an interview today for an Administrative Assistant position with a property management firm making $13/hr. ($27K/yr. and closer to where I want to be salary-wise). It lasted about 1 ½ minutes. It went something like this …

Donna: “So Reagan, your resume looks great. What are you looking for in this position?”

Me: “To be honest, I’m looking for a challenging position with room for advancement with a company that promotes within, because I’d like to stay with a company for the long-term.” Translation: I don’t want to be stuck at $13/hour job for the rest of my life and I’m willing to bust my ass to move up.

Donna: “Well, there’s something to be said for being over-qualified. I really don’t think this is the position for you. I am the Property Manager and there really isn’t any room for advancement with this company.” Translation: The other position besides yours is mine, and I’m not going anywhere.

Me: “Thank you and I’m sorry I wasted your time.”


This was the shortest interview I’ve ever had. And as of late, I’ve had a lot! And, I have NEVER been told that I’m over-qualified. I think she was just trying to be nice because she felt bad that she just made me drive through Galleria traffic at lunchtime to make it to a 1 ½ minute interview that was completely unproductive.

Whatever.


I stop by the bank on the way back to the office I’m currently temping at. I deposit 3 checks. The second I drive away from the bank, I realize I have no cash to get myself anything for lunch. I think, “It’s ok, there’s an ATM right next to the deli. I’ll have to pay $2.50 to get a measly $20 to pay for a $3.00 sandwich, when I could have just gotten it for free. But, whatever.” I get to the office and go down to the basement where the deli is that I usually go to. I go to the ATM where I see a sign, “Out of Service”. Crap! I’ll just go into the deli and ask the little guy where there might be another ATM. I turn around, the deli is closed. WTF, it’s only 1:30? "Over-qualified" my ass.

Whatever. Thank God it’s Friday. GAW!

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry your day was not going your way, but the telling of it made me smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home