www.SweetReagan.com

The sweetest of Reagan's world ... Life in the PINK!

Friday, June 10, 2005

When It Rains It Pours ... Episode I

Ok, now that I’ve probably lost the only 2 readers I had, I guess I’ll start writing again. Sorry it took me so long. I was going through a little bit of a rough time for a few months, but I think I finally have everything under control again. Oops, I probably shouldn’t say that too loudly.

Have you ever noticed that when things start getting screwy in life, it snowballs so quickly and becomes so overwhelming that it’s hard to get a hold of it to get control again? I guess that’s what happened. So much has happened in such a short amount of time, it’s kind of hard to figure out where it started going wrong. I’m just incredibly thankful that I have such a supportive boyfriend and such loving and generous friends.

Let’s see, I think it started going wrong around February when I left my job. Basically, I left because I was being way underpaid for the position and realized there was absolutely no room for advancement. The funny thing about this position is that there was very little work to do. Now I know most people wouldn’t complain about this but, of course, I had to open my big fat mouth! My supervisor worked a total of about 30 hours a week, that’s less than part-time (32 hours/week), and was getting paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $45K/year. She was really nice and I liked her well enough as a person, she just wasn’t ever there, and when she was there, most of her workday consisted of internet shopping. She would leave in the middle of the day to “go to the gynecologist” (code for getting her nails or hair done, or pulling mommy duty with one of her young girls), come back after about 2 hours for an hour or so, and leave for the day by 3PM. Damn, I wish I had those hours with that salary. At any rate, it was all I could do not to call her supervisor and the company owner to inform them that they were wasting $24K/year on my position. They could have easily combined her position and mine to make a full 8 hour/day position! But then I guess I’d be shooting myself in the foot. With a workday like that, there is no way in Hell she will ever leave that position, which was my only step up the ladder in this company. So, I chose to resign with a statement that read, “I would gladly take on more responsibilities with the proper training for an increase in salary.” Instead of counter-offering me with the salary I wanted (a measly $30K/year), they let me resign, went 2 months with no receptionist (because receptionists in this city won’t work for less than $30K as opposed to the $24K they were offering), then finally raised the salary to $30K, WHICH WAS ALL I WANTED IN THE FIRST DAMNED PLACE! Bastards!

Stay tuned for more adventures and ramblings of the real Sweet Reagan, there's a lot more to come …

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Wozzy Bear said...

Wow that sux! I know exactly how you're feeling. I've been working for two-and-a-half years now since I graduated with my degree in Journalism. I spent a year-and-a-half at a news research company, waking up at 4 A.M. to research every major daily newspaper in the country, making 27K a year. Not to mention that I often worked weekends (Saturday's and Sunday's), so you can imagine how fun my social life was. I finally left when they gave me a measley 2 percent raise after all that time (like a $500 raise). So insulting!

Now I work as a print buyer and marketing list manager, and they pay me a whopping 30K. Better, but definitely not what I had imagined at this point. You spend all that time and effort getting the college degree, and working your but off for two-and-a-half years, and it feels like you're standing still.

I have to figure something out, because I'm sure you can imagine how far 30K a year goes in the NY/NJ Metro area. Only has the highest cost of living in the United States.

Sorry for the long ass post. I guess I just wanted YOU to know that there is someone 10 states away that feels the same way as you. And it's nice to see that someone else knows what I'm feeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home